Atlanta bridge reopens

ATLANTA (AP) - The Atlanta Botanical Garden is open again, three days after one worker was killed and 18 others were injured in the collapse of a soaring pedestrian walkway that was under
construction.

Bill Pinto, president of Hardin Construction Co., the contractor in charge of the project, said Monday that about 100 feet of concrete had been poured onto the walkway's metal deck when it gave way Friday morning.

The collapse also took down a temporary structure used by the
workers to build the elevated path, which reached up to 40 feet
high.

The garden says all admission fees through the end of the year
will go to the Jonquil Fund for victims and their families.

Pinto said his company will donate to the fund and will seek
contributions from throughout the construction industry.

The worker killed was 66-year-old construction worker Angel
Chupin.

Ten workers remained hospitalized Monday, including six in
intensive care.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WTVY-TV 285 N Foster Street Dothan, AL 36303 334-792-3195
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 36596759 - wtvy.com/a?a=36596759