ATHENS, Ga. (AP) - An Athens-Clarke fire investigator said a candle sparked Monday's blaze that killed a retired University of Georgia art professor.
Fire Inspector Alan Morse said the fire was ruled an accident. He said it started when a candle set a couch on fire in a bedroom.
The wood-frame house was heavily damaged.
Authorities said 66-year-old William "Bill" Mariott died from smoke and soot inhalation.
(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.