FL Man Injured When Firework Explodes in His Hands

By: AP
By: AP

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- Authorities say a Tampa Bay-area man has been severely injured after a firework exploded in his hands.

Tampa police say Matthew Lewandowski of Riverview loaded a firework mortar into a fiberglass tube at a party early Wednesday. When he lit the fuse, the firework exploded in his hands.

Lewandowski's father says the 24-year-old might lose his left thumb and ring finger. Police tell the Tampa Bay Times (http://bit.ly/LYWaDg ) that Lewandowski also suffered burns to his arms, stomach and right leg.

Lewandowski was having reconstructive surgery Wednesday at a Tampa hospital.

Information from: Tampa Bay (Fla.)Times, http://tampabay.com
AP-WF-07-04-12 2130GMT


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Anonymous on Jul 6, 2012 at 03:25 PM
    How many times are we going to have to say, Don't let children play with fire works. Yes, he was 24 years old but any body that don't know gun powder explodes when in contact with fire don't need to have any fire works. I used to give my kids long matches to light fire crackers with. I'd say don't have your hand down there where the fire cracker is, if it explodes it could seriously hurt your hand.And they've always listened to me so far.
WTVY-TV 285 N Foster Street Dothan, AL 36303 334-792-3195
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 161374585 - wtvy.com/a?a=161374585
Gray Television, Inc.