Candle Sparks Fire at Fla. Vet's Home

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- A Jacksonville family who had no electricity was forced out of their home after it caught fire from a candle they were using to light the house.

The fire started in a bedroom Friday night, filling the house with smoke.

The Florida Times-Union reports 65-year-old Thomas Setzer was sitting in the living room when he smelled smoke.

His daughter saw flames and the family scrambled outside. No one was injured, but the bedroom was damaged. Setzer is in a wheelchair.

Setzer said his wife, three children and two dogs were living in the dark after their power was cut Friday.

Setzer said it could have been Tuesday until they had power.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Anonymous on May 27, 2012 at 07:54 PM
    Your bill must have been really high, if you could find on one to pay it for you.What is there to really do by the light of a candle ? This is why they say not to use candles when the lights are out. They fall over and catch stuff a fire.
WTVY-TV 285 N Foster Street Dothan, AL 36303 334-792-3195
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 154844665 -
Gray Television, Inc.