TAMARAC, Fla. (AP) - Authorities took a woman to a Broward mental health facility for evaluation after she was caught injecting foul-smelling liquid into baby food in a supermarket.
Fifty-year-old Shirley Ybarra was spotted Tuesday night by Publix employees adding a black liquid that smelled like ammonia to the baby food and juice containers. Sheriff's deputies said that Ybarra told the employees she was mixing food for her son - but her son is 21.
Deputies said it didn't appear that she had tampered with baby food in any other stores and that the public is not at risk.
After a mental health evaluation, she was taken to the Broward County jail, where she was charged with poisoning food or water and violating her probation. Records show that she is being held without bond.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.