PALMETTO, Fla. (AP) - Authorities have reported that five Manatee County Jail inmates were hospitalized after ingesting a poisonous flower that can cause a "recreational high."
According to officials, the low-security inmates were clearing overgrowth in Palmetto Wednesday afternoon when they ate a plant called angel's trumpet.
The plant can cause elevated blood pressure, increased heart rate, agitation and violent behavior.
In some cases, people who ingest the plant can slip into a coma or die.
The inmates were taken to nearby hospitals, and their conditions
ranged from mild to serious.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.