Missing Hunter Found near Ebro


The search for a missing man has come to a happy end Monday night.

Fifty-three-year-old Dennis Massey disappeared Sunday after a day of hunting with his brothers. A massive search for Massey ended with his safe return to his family.

The nearly 20 hours search for Dennis Massey ended around 12:45 Monday afternoon, when Tyler and Linda Marlow found him walking along the side of Highway 79. Massey's family is relieved that he's alright.

Joe Massey, his brother, said, "Greatly relieved. We just came back to the check station to just check on our family ‘cause we had been out there all night, and everybody had been searching and nobody had heard anything, but I tell you what I have never seen a better group of people than we had out here."

Massey went hunting Sunday with his two brothers in the Pine Log State Forest just southeast of Ebro. The men were bow-hunting, but Massey was just along for the trip.

Stan Kirkland of the Fish and Wildlife Commission said, "Just after 4 o'clock he walked away from the vehicle. His brothers came back to vehicle a little after 6 o’clock and they couldn't locate him, so there was a 911 call made after that and search began."

Washington and Bay County sheriff's deputies and the Fish and Wildlife Commission led the search, along with several other agencies.

They used helicopters, K-9 units, horses, ATVs, and foot patrols to comb several acres of woods for nearly 20 hours to try and find Massey.

"When you have one like this it's good to see people come together from different agencies and departments."

Massey would spend the night in a swamp in the Pine Log Forest. Even though he was disoriented he was able to make his way out to Highway 79, and that's where Tyler and Linda Marlow spotted him.

"My brother has been here for ages and I tell you what he has got a lot of friends. There's a lot of people that have come out and turned out for him and if I didn't get a chance to thank them all in person I would like to do that now. Thank you very much."

Joe Massey says he's just happy his brother is safe and next time he won't let him out of his sight. Dennis Massey was taken to Bay Medical Center for observation.

Authorities say he was disoriented, but otherwise in good condition.

WTVY-TV 285 N Foster Street Dothan, AL 36303 334-792-3195
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 31667829 - wtvy.com/a?a=31667829
Gray Television, Inc.