Prosecutors drop charge against Miami commissioner

By: AP Email
By: AP Email

MIAMI (AP) -- Prosecutors have dropped the grand theft charge
against a suspended Miami commissioner.

Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle told The
Miami Herald (http://bit.ly/oUfLKt ) on Tuesday that she was
dropping the case because prosecutors couldn't prove the evidence
beyond a reasonable doubt.

Authorities had said Spence-Jones illegally steered $50,000 in
county grants to a family business in 2005, before she became a
city commissioner.

But a key witness against Spence-Jones, former Miami-Dade Commissioner Barbara Carey-Shuler, changed her
testimony, hurting the prosecution's case.

With the theft charge dropped and Spence-Jones' acquittal on
unrelated bribery charges earlier this year, she is eligible to
retake her commission seat, along with nearly two years back pay
and benefits.

Richard P. Dunn II has represented Spence-Jones' district since
her removal.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WTVY-TV 285 N Foster Street Dothan, AL 36303 334-792-3195
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 128283048 - wtvy.com/a?a=128283048