By: AP
By: AP

JASPER, Ala. (AP) - Jasper police have arrested a man in connection with a fire that caused $150,000 in damage to a playground built for disabled children.

Benjamin Logan Speck is charged with first-degree criminal mischief in a blaze that destroyed the APEX playground last Sunday.

The 18-year-old Speck will face up to 10 years in prison and a fine
of up to $25,000 if convicted.

Police say Speck was stopped near the park early Sunday morning.

Officials believe Speck set the fire before being pulled over.

Two other individuals are being questioned but no charges have been made.

Jasper attorney Hugh Beaird has been hired to represent Speck.

• by Betty Location: Florida on Mar 25, 2011 at 11:14 AM
    You just have gotten grown,now you're going to spend 10 yrs. in prison. All your good years gone and for what, pure meaness.One thing you want miss out on, I hear they have lots of sex in prison.
      by Anonymous on Mar 28, 2011 at 03:39 PM in reply to Betty
      You are absolutely a disgrace. For you to go around and wish sodomy on this teenage boy. That is absolutely pathetic. "Pure meanness"? Well isn't that the pot calling the kettle black. You decided to post your opinion on here about something you have no idea about? You dont even live in the Jasper community, however I do. You dont know his side, and you dont know the community. And quite frankly I dont believe your opinion is needed here. But you decided to post it why? "PURE MEANNESS".
        by Betty on Mar 28, 2011 at 09:46 PM in reply to
        Well anonymous, It says a man charged wirh setting fire, when you're 18, if you're a male, you're a man. And yes they have sodomy in prison.I never said that I wished that on him.He should have realized that when he done the deed,that he'd go to prison if he was caught. Well if the comunity knows so much, maybe yall should have tryed to help that "boy" not to be so mean and destructive.No, I don't know his side of the story. What would he have hoped to accomplish setting fire to disabled childrens playground ? Well at least I had the guts to post my name, you can't seem to even do that.
  • by laura mcdonough Location: dothan on Mar 25, 2011 at 10:33 AM
    Why isn't he made to pay back the full amount of the cost to repair??? Same with any vandalism; if person is under age, parents by law should pay. Otherwise taxpayers have to pay it. He's a freakin' low life and his family, friends need to write him off!
      by Anonymous on Mar 25, 2011 at 12:02 PM in reply to laura mcdonough
      would u say the same bout if this was your child
        by laura on Mar 25, 2011 at 05:16 PM in reply to
        You got it! I personally know people who have written off their adult kids. I don't have any kids and glad of it.
          by Anonymous on Mar 27, 2011 at 07:28 PM in reply to laura
          How sad and ridiculous they are...maybe that's why u weren't blessed with having bc u wouldn't be a good mother and willing to give your all to your kids...I have 2 girls and would give my last breath to either of them..we are supposed to forgive and forget to make it to the pearly gates not judge others
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118652979 - wtvy.com/a?a=118652979