Nonprofit Wants Smoke-Free Workplace in Alabama

By: AP
By: AP

Ginny Campbell, the nonprofit's government relations director says that while many cities restrict smoking in restaurants and other public places, Alabama is one of just 15 states without some type of smoke-free workplace law.

The state Senate passed a smoke-free bill during the 2008 legislative session but it never made it to a vote in the House.

Campbell tells The Huntsville Times that the latest campaign has gotten some support from both Republican and Democratic lawmakers, but no one has committed to sponsor a bill.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

• by toby Location: dothan on Feb 13, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    I'll make sure that they no longer recieve any donations from me again.This should be up to the owners descretion,not some self serving egotist.Don't go to the business if you don't like it.
  • by John Location: Hartford on Feb 13, 2011 at 08:34 AM
    I just have one question how can a non profit organization request or push for legislation that affects certain citizens and still be classified as non profit. These organizations are tax free and should not be allowed to push an agenda on any taxpayer and since a smoker does pay additonal taxes that is a direct strike against certain tax payers and if it involve for example race they would be called out on this type of action. Yes I do smoke and no I am very considerate of non smokers as most of the people i know that smoke are. It is high time the government backs out of our business and let us be respondsible adults or companies and put in place our own guidelines or rules. You people that are so down on smokers I wonder what you would do if the government or anyone said they where gonna take your car away because it contributed to global warming and emited gases that are posionous to people and the environment. Boy I would love to see that :)
  • by judge Location: GENEVA on Feb 13, 2011 at 07:44 AM
    When is these groups of peoples going to quit wineing about smoking,i understand not smoking around peoples,i have respect for them,but letss move to things more important instead of this.
  • by Tom Location: Enterprise on Feb 12, 2011 at 10:22 PM
    People already smoke outside, and what a person does on their free time does not affect you or others. Stay out of other peoples business,stop your needless whining, and worry only about your bad habits which affect other people as well.
  • by a smoker Location: enterprise al on Feb 12, 2011 at 06:43 PM
    In response to all non smokers I am a smoker. I am one who doesn't get right in front of a business door I am one who doesn't blow smoke in your face! I do however think ppl like yourself who think all of us are bad need to get a life! Do u chew gum? I bet u or your kids have thrown it out the window where I step in your nasty gum and have to avoid touching it while trying to remove it from my shoe or my ride. If u eat fried food u taken in the same terrible chemicals in cigarettes ... better yet if we are gonna bash smokers I think kids should be banned from the finer restaurants period many times they have ruined my nice quiet meal! They still get access to do dine with parents while destroying another ones evening by running screaming or pounding the table with the silverware. Lets ban them too I would be able to finally eat dinner in peace. I hope this makes a point to all ppl offended by smokers not all are the problem why spoil for all? As for whomever says their health is why- the feeling is mutual due to the chewing gum crap and bad children destroying my nerves while I am trying to relax and enjoy finer things in life like a quiet restaurant. I rest my case...
  • by a smoker Location: enterprise al on Feb 12, 2011 at 06:42 PM
  • by Anna Location: Columbia, AL on Feb 12, 2011 at 03:57 PM
    This is a very good idea and past it's time. I believe there should be a no smoking ban in any business and a no smoking within 30 feet of any business. The smokers are affecting the health of everyone, not just themselves. Ban the cancer sticks, coffin nails, carcinogenic smoke. Nasty stinky habit!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 116087234 - wtvy.com/a?a=116087234