To us it's just a tree with ornaments, but to these guys it's a tall box of toys.
"They love wrapping paper, they love tape, they love bows, they love to get into everything," said pet owner Tiffany Snell.
"During the holiday season we always tend to see an increase in pets getting into holiday decorations," said Dothan Animal Hospital Dr. Ben Garrett.
Dr. Ben Garrett says he knows all too well what can happen when pets get adventurous.
"I did see an x-ray the other day of a dog that had swallowed some Christmas tree lights, he got a strand of lights started swallowing it and bit it off and had a belly full of Christmas tree lights."
Dr. Garrett says the curiosity doesn't stop there.
"Some of the things that we really want to stay away from as far as your cats and dogs playing with, are ribbons because if they by chance break off a piece of ribbon and swallow it, it can cause and intestinal blockage."
Ornaments are another concern when it comes to cats.
"The little hooks they like to play with those, cats particularly like to play with those and bat them around."
Tiffany Snell has two dogs and she says during the holidays they enjoy the company.
"We usually let them mingle."
But when it comes to table food, "No we stay away from scraps."
Scraps aren't the only foods to stay away from.
"Chocolates can particularly be toxic to dogs and cats."
Dr. Garrett also suggests keeping electrical cords out of your pets view to avoid chewing and electrocution.
Doctor Garrett says during the holidays he gets lots of calls about cats or dogs eating mistletoes and poinsettias.
He says those may cause a little intestinal upset but are not toxic.
Designed by Gray Digital Media