ELKMONT, Ala. (AP) - An out-of-control grease fire is blamed as the cause of a blaze that destroyed a Limestone County restaurant on "Friday fish night."
Elkmont Police Chief Donnie Johnson told The Decatur Daily that two customers and five employees escaped the blaze which was reported at about 5:20 p.m. at Country Boys' Cafe.
Johnson said the blaze spread after grease from a fish fryer on the back patio caught fire and quickly spread into the kitchen and into the dining area.
Johnson said efforts to fight the fire were hampered because the nearest fire hydrant was a quarter of a mile away.
The restaurant was located in a rural area near the Alabama-Tennessee line.
(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)