Fire Destroys Dothan Business

By: Tim Elliott Email
By: Tim Elliott Email

A Dothan business is a complete loss after an early morning fire Friday.

King Church Furniture located on the north side of town went up in flames Friday morning.

The business builds pews, chairs, steeples, etc., for churches.

Investigators are now trying figure out what sparked the fire.

Demolition crews were busy taking down what's left of King Church Furniture Friday afternoon.

“The fire that is left at this point appears to be trapped under the collapsed roof so we're unable to get to that and get effective water on it,”

Captain Chris Etheredge with the Dothan Fire Department says the business caught fire just before five a.m.

“Our first crew that arrived on scene described it as fully involved flames through the roof,” said Capt. Etheredge.

The fire was spreading fast.

“We were probably flowing three or four thousand gallons a minute on this fire at it's peak,”

And firefighters did all they could to keep the damage to a minimum.

“The damage is extensive probably going to be a total loss in the manufacturing area. But it's quickly becoming summer in south Alabama so very concerned about our members, making sure they stay hydrated,” said Etheredge.

Fire officials say the business contains flammable chemicals which posed a serious risk for firefighters who were battling the blaze.

“They have lacquer and stains and flammable liquids if you will and anytime those are stored and next to a fire that poses an extra hazard,”

“This is kind of a major hiccup,”

Steadman Shealy is a friend of the business owner.

“He's already talking about plans to rebuild and get things going and get his equipment and serve his customers,”

Fire officials are battling hot spots all over the building, keeping fire investigators at bay.
“It'll be later this afternoon probably even tomorrow before they're even able to get in and begin their investigation,”

It's estimated that King Church Furniture employs about 40 people.

Mr. Shealy tells us that the business owner plans to get back up and running as soon as possible.

Fire officials say they were able to protect much of the office area of the building and save several sophisticated computer systems that are used to run the manufacturing machines.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by ACMI,Inc. Location: Albany, Ga. on May 12, 2010 at 10:09 AM
    We, here at ACMI, Inc. in Albany, Ga., were sorry to hear of the loss to this fine organization. We are releived no one was hurt and will pray for your quick recovery.
  • by Candy Location: Dothan on May 7, 2010 at 07:49 PM
    I just want to say that my husband is one of the 40 workers that lost their job today. And to the other 39 don't worry God will find a way to work all of this out. And god bless each and everyone of you.
WTVY-TV 285 N Foster Street Dothan, AL 36303 334-792-3195
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 93155274 -
Gray Television, Inc.