Crossville home explodes, woman seriously injured

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

CROSSVILLE, Ala. (AP) - A Crossville woman was taken to a
Birmingham hospital in serious condition after her house exploded
when she lit a candle.

A relative said Betty Holbrooks was injured when the flame
caused an explosion due to an apparent problem with her natural gas
service.

Jackie Roden, who is married to Holbrooks' niece, said the woman
lit a candle after she awoke to no power around 5 a.m.

Holbrooks was transported to UAB Hospital where she was in
stable condition Sunday afternoon.

Officials of DeKalb-Cherokee Counties Gas District referred
questions to a company official who was unavailable Sunday.


WTVY-TV 285 N Foster Street Dothan, AL 36303 334-792-3195
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 42109382 - wtvy.com/a?a=42109382