MOBILE, Ala. (AP) - A statewide poll of Alabama adults found a majority supporting gambling if it generates money for schools.
The survey by the Press-Register and the University of South Alabama Polling Group showed 36 percent supporting gambling that benefits education and 19 percent supporting gambling regardless of the purpose. That total of 55 percent compared to 44 percent who were opposed. The remaining 1 percent did not know.
The director of the USA Polling Group, Keith Nicholls, says the survey numbers indicate no consensus has formed about gambling in Alabama.
The random telephone poll was conducted Jan. 12-14 with 430 adults statewide. It had a sampling error margin of 5 percentage points.
(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.