TRAFFORD, Ala. (AP) - A Warrior Fire Department official said mobile home that burned with a woman and her grandson inside was more than three miles from a fire hydrant.
Battalion Chief Kim Neely said that the home was not inside any fire district or regular coverage area for a fire department. The lack of hydrants and lack of fire department coverage is not uncommon for unincorporated rural areas.
Neely said that by the time Warrior firefighters got to the scene Friday, the mobile home was already consumed by flames.
She said she believes 55-year-old Juanita Sue Calvert and 14-year-old Micah Shane Edwards died of smoke inhalation, which would likely have happened even if firefighters had gotten there sooner and had better access to water.
(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.