ATHENS, Ala. (AP) - Three men suffered burns when a moonshine
still exploded inside a brick garage at a residence in Athens.
Limestone County Sheriff Mike Blakely said the men were making
home-made wine in a 25-gallon still when it blew up Saturday night
and splashed them with hot mash.
A juvenile was at the home but not seriously injured.
Blakely said the three men sought treatment at an Athens
hospital, where doctors thought the injuries were odd and called
the sheriff's office.
Investigator Randy Burroughs said the owner of the house, Doug
Powers, lost part of his finger earlier while using a potato
He suffered 3rd degree burns in the explosion and was transferred to UAB Hospital's burn unit.
About 250 gallons of wine and mash was confiscated from the
house. Burroughs said the scene was "like something out of
Investigators said charges are pending against Powers.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.