THEODORE, Ala. (AP) - Authorities say at least 50 people have been sent to the hospital after a south Alabama refrigeration facility leaked up to 300 gallons of ammonia into the air.
Capt. Shaun Hicks with Mobile Fire-Rescue Department said the Monday incident was at Millard Refrigerated Services in Theodore. He said the leak has been stopped and officials are monitoring the air near the plant on the Theodore Industrial Canal.
Hospital workers say most patients have reported dizziness and shortness of breath from the ammonia. Authorities have asked people
near the plant to stay inside their homes and offices.
The plant freezes chicken parts to be exported across the globe.
(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.