US News: Iran Pursued US Drone; Suspect in Murder & Rape Beaten in Jail

By  | 

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A Pentagon official says an Iranian fighter jet approached a U.S. surveillance drone aircraft over the Persian Gulf but broke off its pursuit after a U.S. plane escorting the drone discharged a flare to warn the Iranian pilot.
Pentagon press secretary George Little said Thursday that the incident occurred Tuesday. He said the unarmed Predator surveillance drone as well as two U.S. military aircraft that were escorting it remained over international waters at all times.
Little said the drone was conducting what he called a "routine classified" surveillance mission.
He said the Iranian F-4 plane came as close as 16 miles to the drone before it broke away.
In November an Iranian fighter fired upon, but did not hit, a Predator over the Gulf.

FAIRLESS HILLS, Pa. (AP) -- Police say an armed man barricaded himself inside an eastern Pennsylvania sports store bathroom and killed himself.
Police say the man entered Dick's Sporting Goods in Fairless Hills on Saturday night and asked to see a shotgun and ammunition. Once the clerk handed those over, the man pulled out a handgun and ordered the worker to undo the shotgun's gun lock.
Police say the man then barricaded himself inside a bathroom in the Bucks County store. He didn't take any hostages.
The store and nearby businesses were evacuated during the four-hour-long standoff.
Police say the gunman died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. His name wasn't immediately released. No one else was hurt.
Lt. Henry Ward says the man had been involved in a standoff with Middletown officers in 2002.

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) -- Authorities say a man accused of killing a Syracuse woman and raping her 10-year-old daughter during a carjacking was beaten and suffered a broken nose on his first day in jail.
The Post-Standard, of Syracuse, reports that David Renz had a swollen face and tissues stuffed up both nostrils when he appeared in federal court Friday to face a probation violation charge.
His attorneys say Renz was assaulted by other inmates at the Onondaga County Justice Center, where he was taken following his arrest Thursday night.
Sheriff Kevin Walsh told the newspaper he was looking into why Renz was put into a holding area with other prisoners.
Renz faces charges that he abducted the mother and daughter as they left a gymnastics class in the Syracuse suburb of Clay.

STEUBENVILLE, Ohio (AP) -- Two Ohio high school football players accused of raping a 16-year-old girl after an alcohol-fueled party last summer are due back in juvenile court Sunday to learn their fate.
Their four-day nonjury trial ended Saturday after testimony from the West Virginia teenager, who said she could not remember what happened that night when she woke up naked in a strange house. She said she felt embarrassed and scared.
Judge Thomas Lipps says he'll announce his decision Sunday morning. If found delinquent -- the juvenile court equivalent of guilty -- 17-year-old Trent Mays and 16-year-old Ma'lik Richmond could be held in juvenile jail until they turn 21.
The case has riveted the small city of Steubenville amid allegations that more students should have been charged and led to questions about the influence of the local football team, a source of pride in a community that suffered massive job losses with the collapse of the steel industry.

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- An Air Force trainer at a San Antonio base has been found guilty at court-martial of raping a former trainee.
The San Antonio Express-News reports the trial of Staff Sgt. Eddy Soto at Lackland Air Force Base segued directly into the sentencing phase Saturday. He could get up to life imprisonment without parole.
Soto previously pleaded guilty to five counts, including having sex with a female trainee and the wife of a male trainee. Prosecutors also alleged he raped a woman who had flown from California to San Antonio to visit him on the condition of no sex.
In all, 32 Lackland instructors have been investigated, with six convicted of misconduct. Investigators say more than 40 women had inappropriate contact with instructors, were sexually harassed or raped.

CARLISLE, Pa. (AP) -- Seton Hill University is mourning the death of its women's lacrosse coach who died along with one other person in a bus crash in central Pennsylvania.
The Catholic school of about 2,500 students near Pittsburgh says a memorial Mass is planned for Sunday night on campus.
Cumberland County authorities say 30-year-old Kristina Quigley of Greensburg. Pa., died at a hospital from injuries suffered in the crash Saturday morning. They say Quigley was about six months pregnant and her unborn child did not survive.
The other victim, 61-year-old driver Anthony Guaetta of Johnstown, was pronounced dead at the scene of the wreck on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.
Two other victims of the crash were flown to a hospital and the other 19 people aboard the bus were taken to other hospitals as a precaution.
The Seton Hill University team was making the trip across the state for a game at Millersville University when the bus ran off the highway and crashed into a tree.

MIAMI (AP) -- NFL free agent Donte Stallworth is hospitalized with serious burns after the hot air balloon carrying him and two other people crashed into power lines in South Florida.
Stallworth's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, says the 10-year NFL veteran won't suffer any permanent damage from the accident in Homestead and will be able to continue his career.
Rosenhaus says "He's going to be OK. He has some burns, but he's going to be fine."
Rosenhaus says one of the passengers was Stallworth's girlfriend, but he would not say whether she was hurt.
A Miami-Dade Police spokesman says two passengers were injured and transported to a trauma center. A third passenger in the basket was not injured.
Stallworth was suspended for the 2009 season after a car he was driving struck and killed a pedestrian in South Florida that March. He spent 24 days in jail for a DUI manslaughter conviction.

MARYSVILLE, Calif. (AP) -- A sheriff's captain says two people were killed when a speeding race car ran off the track into pit row at a California raceway.
Yuba County Capt. Ron Johnson tells the Marysville Appeal-Democrat that a 68-year-old man and a 14-year-old boy were killed in the Saturday night crash at Marysville Raceway Park north of Sacramento.
Johnson says the 68-year-old was pronounced dead at the track and the 14-year-old was declared dead either at the hospital or in an ambulance.
Johnson says the two were part of a crew and had a right to be in the pit area, but said no more about their roles.

(AP) -- Health officials in five states are assessing hundreds of people for rabies risk following the death of a Maryland man infected by a transplanted kidney.
Health officials say the virus can be spread through the infected person's saliva, but human-to-human transmission is rare.
The transplant donor had moved from North Carolina to Florida before dying in Pensacola, Fla., in 2011. His organs went to patients in Florida, Georgia, Illinois and Maryland.
In Maryland, state veterinarian Katherine Feldman indicated about 200 medical workers, community members and family members were assessed, and fewer than two dozen were urged to get the vaccine.
In Florida, the health department identified about 90 people as potentially exposed. Three have been offered the vaccine.
Other states had not immediately offered details as of Saturday afternoon.

FORT COLLINS, Colo. (AP) -- Calmer weather is allowing crews to gain the upper hand on a wildfire that has scorched between 750 and 1,000 acres west of Fort Collins.
Larimer County Sheriff's Department spokesman Nick Christensen, says the strong winds that caused havoc Friday have died down, and many of the residents who were forced to leave the area are now being allowed to return home. No injuries have been reported and no structures have been damaged.
Christensen says hundreds of phone lines received automated calls ordering evacuations, but he did not have an exact count on how many people were forced from their homes. All evacuation orders were expected to be lifted at 8 p.m.
The fire, which The Denver Post reports is 45 percent contained, is burning west of Horsetooth Reservoir.