"People were like grabbing me and when they were grabbing me it felt like they were stabbing me in my whole body."
17-year-old Susan Brown remembers the night two weeks ago when she tried the herbal mixture called "mo-joe". She, her 18-year-old boyfriend Christopher Schonveld and his mother Gertrude Schonveld bought the mo-joe at this Bristol gas station May 15. After smoking it, they say things went terribly wrong.
"All I could do is just scream to make it stop,” said Brown. “That's all I wanted it to do, I wanted it to stop because it hurt so bad."
"She was throwing up, my son was throwing up, foaming at the mouth, and I was just shaking real bad,” said Gertrude Schonveld. “I was like in a la-la land."
This is what's making people around the country, including right here in Bristol, violently sick. Although it's marketed as an herbal incense and even labeled not for human consumption, authorities say that's not stopping anyone from smoking it.
Anyone including a 9-year-old liberty county girl, who was hospitalized for seizures after her mother allegedly let her smoke the synthetic marijuana.
" Oh it's very serious. I mean we haven't had anybody die yet, but that's, I think it's just a matter of time."
Liberty County Sheriff Donny Conyers can't do much about mo-joe because the substance is legal.
He's written letters to store owners and managers instead, asking them to pull mo-joe from their shelves. The BP station in Bristol is complying, for now.
Brown wants people to learn from her experience.
"People should think before they smoke it. It's like taking a handgun and putting one bullet in there and spinning it around and seeing if you get lucky."
It would take an emergency action from state leaders or federal regulators to ban the active ingredient in mo-joe.
|7:00pm||Frosty The Snowman|
|8:00pm||NCIS: Los Angeles|
|9:00pm||The Grammy Nominations Concert Live!|
|10:00pm||WTVY News 4 at Ten|
|9:00pm||Law & Order: SVU|
|7:00pm||The Carrie Diaries|
|9:00pm||Primetime News at 9|