WTVY  | Dothan, AL  | News, Weather, Sports

Dog Saves Family From House Fire


Early Friday morning Rehobeth volunteer firefighters responded to a blaze, a four legged friend saved the family's life.

"We were all in the bed sleeping and the dog Jezzy kept barking, barking trying to wake me up. I wouldn't get up and when I did get up - I opened by bedroom door and the flames were coming through, the ceiling was falling down, the house was on fire," Madie Russ said.

Russ has had her Pomeranian Jezzy for more than six years.

Thanks to Jezzy, Russ and her two grandchildren escaped the flames.

"I thank god, but it's hurtful too. At the same time it's like what am I going to do?" Russ said.

Jezzy and the family made it out alive ... But that's not always the case with house fires.

"We have been extremely busy and it seems we've had some that have been especially heart breaking. We had the multi-family apartment fire and several with fatalities. They've just touched everybody," The American Red Cross, Wiregrass Chapter’s Executive Director Susan Holmes said.

Holmes says the number one priority for your home should be a smoke detector.

"Always a smoke detector because they're going to react so quickly and awaken you if you're asleep. A fire extinguisher is not a bad idea but the first thing we implore people to do is get out and call 911," Holmes said.

Holmes does not believe smoke detectors were installed in Russ' home.

The Wiregrass Chapter of the American Red Cross has provided aid for the family.

The American Red Cross relies solely on donations and volunteers.
Without the community's support fire victim assistance wouldn't be possible.

There are several ways you can help:
www.RedCross.org


WTVY-TV 285 N Foster Street Dothan, AL 36303 334-792-3195
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 256072301 - wtvy.com/a?a=256072301