Ammunition Explosion

A Hartford teenager was rushed to the hospital after a shotgun shell explosion.

Authorities say the youngster is very lucky not to have been seriously injured.

Emergency crews arrived at a Spann Avenue mobile home late Monday night to find a 15-year-old boy with a shotgun shell partially embedded in his chest. The bullet came from a .410-shotgun.

Initially, teenagers at the scene said that a sniper fired the bullet. But, Police Chief Greg Adams says he believes the youngsters were tampering with the shell when it exploded.

The chief warns parents to make sure that their children don't play with guns or ammunition and urges parents to get free-gun locks from their local law enforcement agency.

The teenager was treated and released from a Dothan area hospital with minor injuries.