A Samson man wants to try and rid Geneva County of disease-carrying mosquitoes from the sky.
Crop duster Jerry Wise owns and operates Ag Flying Service in Samson. Wise asked the Geneva County Commission about spraying a pesticide from his plane.
A similar program took place in South Florida. The board felt an aerial assault would be too expensive with a price tag of around $360,000.
They are looking at the possibility of spraying identified mosquito breeding areas.
wtvynews4.com Extended Web Coverage
- There are 2,700 species of mosquitoes.
- More than 50 are resistant to at least one insecticide.
- A mosquito weighs only 1/25,000 of an ounce.
- A female mosquito drinks about 5-millionths of a liter of blood per serving.
- Mosquitoes find new hosts by detecting infra-red radiation emitted by warm bodies; and by chemical signals.
- They are attracted to carbon dioxide and lactic acid.
- A mosquito can fly 1-1.5 miles per hour.
- Some mosquitoes can fly 75-100 miles.
- A mosquito can smell you from 40 miles away.
Source: a compilation of web reports contributed to this report