Here are some tips in case you need to evacuate your home for a storm:
- Stay alert to storm advisories. Evacuate if told to do so.
- Map out your route, using roads specified by local authorities.
- Do not get on the road without a place to go.
- Fill your car with gasoline.
- Before a storm threatens, contact your veterinarian or local humane society for information on preparing your pets for an emergency.
- Secure your home before leaving. Board up windows and glass doors, anchor loose yard objects or bring them inside and lock your doors.
- Get cash. After a hurricane, banks and ATMs may be temporarily closed.
- Notify family and friends of your plans.
- If possible, evacuate to the home of either friends or family in a non-vulnerable area within your county.
- Next try a motel or hotel and as a last resort go to a public shelter. Remember, shelters are not designed for comfort and do not usually accept pets.
Source: Florida Division of Emergency Management.