Anthrax Scare

The white, powdery substance that caused an anthrax scare in Kinston was baby powder. It seems a piece of machinery that's used to roll coins was the culprit.

In this case, the operator put in baby powder to make it easier to roll quarters.

When the clerk at the Big/Little Convenience Store on Highway 52 between Samson and Opp broke open the roll, the powder came out. Authorities were notified, including Fort Rucker's Haze Mat Team and the FBI.

Store employees and customers were evacuated and decontaminated by emergency crews.

Kinston Mayor William Mullins says it's fortunate the incident turned out to be harmless.

Business is now back to normal at the store.