Police are warning people in New Brockton about a new phone scam.
People in the area are being called and asked to make a donation to the New Brockton Police Department.
The caller reminds people that the city is in dire financial straits and that the police department needs the money.
Officers said this fund-raiser is a hoax.
wtvynews4.com Extended Web Coverage
Tips to Protect You From the Scammers
- Never pay money up front.
- Legitimate companies have little reason to require money ahead of time and in the case of loans, it is illegal for telemarketers to ask for fees in advance.
- Do not provide bank account, credit card, and social security numbers or any other personal information unless you are sure the company is legitimate and the information is necessary for the transaction.
- Even with partial information, con artists can make unauthorized charges, deduct money from your account, and impersonate you to get credit in your name.
- Get all offers in writing and do not let yourself be rushed into any decisions.
- High-pressure sales tactics often indicate potential fraud. A good deal today should still be a good deal tomorrow.
Source: http://linz1.net/freep20.html/ ( Link Alarm Website)