A family is left homeless, after their house went up in flames, Thursday. It's the fifth reported fire in Dothan in the past four days.
Dothan firefighter's pulled off siding on a home Thursday, where one of the bedrooms went up in flames.
Around 9AM, neighbors alerted authorities they saw fire coming out one of the windows in the home, located on East Burdeshaw Street.
Capt. Chris Etheredge with the Dothan Fire Department said, "Our first unit arrived to find fire showing from one side of the home. Our initial reports were that it was probably from a bedroom where the bulk of the fire was."
The fire marshal has determined the fire began as the result of a space-heater. Authorities say 90-percent of the rental property is damaged.
"History tells us that if we give a fire a 6 to 10 minute head start, the chances of controlling it without significant damage are minimal," explains Captain Etheredge.
Since Monday, there have been five damaging house-fires in Dothan, which has kept city firefighters busy.
But what many don't see after the flames are out, are Red Cross volunteers who show up to help victims of house fires.
After Thursday’s fire, volunteers starting addressing immediate needs for the victims, a mother and son.
Red Cross Volunteer Eleanor McCall said, "We try to do three things. We try to see that the people have shelter, food, and clothing. And any other ways we can help them; we'll refer them to other agencies here in town."
No one was hurt in the blaze, because the residents weren't home.
The Red Cross always needs volunteers. To find out how you can assist the agency, call 792-9852.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.