The American Red Cross is urgently calling for blood donors to help hospital patients.
Officials say there is a critical blood shortage, which means Alabama and the Florida panhandle is on its own for blood for patients.
The Red Cross says doctors across the United States are canceling surgeries because of the blood shortage.
The Red Cross is counting on local donors to supply badly needed blood.
Local doctors in the Wiregrass who receive their blood from Lifesouth Community Blood Bank are also urging citizens to roll up their sleeves.
You can give blood at the Wiregrass Area Red Cross on Montezuma Avenue on Mondays and Thursdays and at the Lifesouth Blood Bank on Ross Clark Circle daily.
wtvynews4.com Extended Web Coverage
10 Reasons to Donate Blood
- Blood transfusions save lives.
- There is no substitute for human blood.
- Every three seconds, someone needs a blood transfusion.
- About 60 percent of the population are eligible to donate blood, yet less than five percent do.
- A pint of blood, separated in to components, can help up to three people.
- You will make your community a safer place.
- Fulfills your desire to "give back" to the community.
- You will receive a mini physical (blood pressure, temperature, iron level).
- You will learn your blood type.
- It is safe, simple and it saves lives.
Who Can Donate Blood?
- Anyone who is in good health,
- At least 17 years old (persons 16 may donate with a Blood Program consent form signed by a legal guardian),
- Weighs at least 110 pounds
Source: http://18.104.22.168/donating/blood.htm (Blood Centers of the Pacific Web Site)
If you would like to donate blood or help with the donation process, visit your local American Red Cross