The local Salvation Army says they have a shortage of canned goods for the holiday season.
They say they are significantly short of their goal of providing 1,200 people with food.
If you'd like to help, the Salvation Army needs canned vegetables and canned meat.
You can drop off your donation at the main location on South Bell Street from 8 a.m.until 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
wtvynews4.com Extended Web Coverage
The Salvation Army Mission Statement
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
The History of the Salvation Army in the South
The Salvation Army in the United States is divided into four territories. The administrative center of the Southern Territory is in Atlanta, Georgia. The USA Southern Territory comprises 15 southern states and is divided into nine divisions.
- From its simple beginnings in 1865 in the poverty-stricken East End of London, England, The Salvation Army grew rapidly during the 1860s and 1870s.
- By the end of 1878, The Salvation Army in England had more than 75 corps (worship and service centers) with 120 officers (clergy).
- In October of that year Salvationists (Salvation Army members) Amos and Annie Shirley immigrated to the United States and began holding evangelistic meetings in Philadelphia.
- Their daughter Lieutenant Eliza Shirley soon followed them. Repeatedly throughout 1879 the Shirleys asked General William Booth, The Salvation Army's Founder, to send officers to establish The Salvation Army in America.
- In Feb. 1880, George Scott Railton, the first officer to hold the rank of commissioner, led a group of seven women to expand The Salvation Army in Philadelphia and extend it to New York City and beyond.
- The first work in America among the military too place in the south during the Spanish-American War.
- In April 1927, the National Commander Evangeline Booth came to Atlanta to proclaim the opening of the Southern Territory.
- The Southern Territory is now experiencing growth in new areas such as ethnic ministries with Hispanic and Asian corps.
Source: http://www.salvationarmysouth.org/about.htm (The Salvation Army Web site) contributed to this report.