Police were able to locate an accused sex offender Thursday. Twenty-two-year-old Richard Metcalf has been charged with first degree rape.
He's accused of sexually assaulting a woman after a party at a private home on June 11.
Investigators say the woman was spending the night in the home and was assaulted after her boyfriend left.
Police had been looking for Metcalf for several days.
He was arrested Thursday morning after employees at a Dothan business stopped him for allegedly trying to shoplift two six-packs of beer.
wtvynews4.com Extended Web Coverage
- In the United States, 1.3 women are raped every minute.
- 78 rapes happen each hour, 1,872 rapes each day, 56,160 rapes each month and 683,280 rapes each year.
- Rapes increased from 110 per thousand in 1998 to 141 per thousand in 1999, a 20 percent increase.
- One in seven women will be raped by her husband.
- More than 61 percent of all rape cases are victims less than 18-years-old. And, 22 percent are between the ages of 18 and 24.
- One in four college women have either been raped or suffered attempted rape.
- There are 75 percent of male students and 55 percent of female students involved in acquaintance rape had been drinking or using drugs.
- More than 31 percent of all victims develop Rape-Related Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (RR-PTSD) sometime in their lifetimes.
- When compared with non-victims, rape victims have been found to be 8.7 times more likely to attempt suicide.
- Only 16 percent of rapes are ever reported to the police.
- In a survey of victims who did not report rape or attempted rape to the police, the following was found as to why no report was made: 43 percent thought nothing could be done, 27 percent felt it was a private matter, 12 percent were afraid of police response, and 12 percent felt it was not important enough.
Source: National Victims of Crime (www.nvc.org) Contributed to this report