An early morning fire has left a Wiregrass doctor homeless. Arson officers with the Houston County Sheriff's Department and the state Fire Marshal's Office are investigating the blaze.
The house on Limestone Road went up in flames around 4 o'clock Monday morning. Firefighters got a call there was a bathroom fire and charged the line.
“We can usually get to them pretty quick, can save em, but this one went up too fast,” said Chief Larry Strickland of Rehobeth Fire Dept.
There were two people in the house and both of them made it out safely.
Firefighters worked tirelessly to put out the flames, but hours later there was still smoke coming from the house.
“The two story house was totally engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived, and that is for only a volunteer fire department,” said Chief Strickland.
The fairly new home belonged to Dr. Robert a Hillman, Jr., a local physician.
Arson investigators from the Houston County Sheriff's Department were on the scene to investigate. The state Fire Marshal's Office is also investigating the fire.
The fire allegedly began in the bathroom from an unattended candle. Investigators will have the results of the investigation in about a week.
Members of the Hodgesville Volunteer Fire Department also helped fight the fire.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.