Mattress Fire in the Downtown Area

Dothan firefighters responded to a fire in the downtown area Tuesday.

They were called to 211 Morgan Street and found a mattress burning in the vacant house.

Authorities said this is the second fire in this vacant house in the last week.

Fire Marshall Eddie Munn said, “The city is trying to remind people to board up their vacant houses because this is the kind of fire that's going to kill our firefighters and police officers.”

Officials tell News 4 that drug dealers are using these vacant houses for criminal activity.