Spring breakers have more to worry about than just speeding tickets. It's once they pull into town and hit the nightclubs. Young women need to be aware of the threat for date rape drugs.
There has already been one case reported on Okaloosa Island of a man who bought a young woman a drink and then sexually assaulted her. She doesn't remember anything from the time she accepted the drink until she was taken by taxi to her hotel room.
Okaloosa County Sheriff's Department suggest you always guard your drinks, never accept drinks from a stranger and use a buddy system to keep a watchful eye.
Date rape drugs cause extreme intoxication, convulsions, and in the worse case, death.
wtvynews4.com Extended Web Coverage
What Kinds of "Date Rape" Drugs Are Out There?
- It is a white tablet that is single or double scored on one side.
- "Roche" or "RH" are imprinted on the tablet, and "I" or "Z" is circled on either side.
- It is often found or obtained in its original blister-wrap packaging.
- Rohyptnol is a pharmaceutical that is used in 80 countries to treat severe sleep disorders.
- It is also known as "roofies", "roaches", "la Rocha", and the "forget pill".
gamma hydroxybutyrate (GHB)
- It is often "homemade" or made in clandestine laboratories.
- It is a liquid that is often carried in water bottles or in other containers.
- GHB is a central nervous system depressant found naturally in the brain and the other tissues.
- It is also known as "liquid ecstasy", "liquid X", and “grievous bodily harm."
- It comes as a liquid in its pharmaceutical form.
- It is also found as a white pill or powder.
- Ketamine is a general anesthetic used extensively in veterinary medicine.
- It is also known as "special K".
- Impaired judgment
- Impaired or loss of memory
- Lack of muscle coordination
How to Protect Yourself
- Do not leave drinks unattended.
- Do not accept open containers at parties.
- Accept drinks only from bartenders or servers and watch them open it.
- If you feel ill, get help immediately.
Source: http://www.hawc.org/topics/teen/daterapedrugs.html (Houston Area Women's Center Web Site)