Alabama State Fire Marshals have identified the cause of a fatal fire in Kinston on Jan. 18.
The fire claimed the life of 18-month-old D. J. Wise and injured his five-year-old sister and three-year-old brother.
Investigators have determined the fire happened while the three-year-old was playing with a cigarette lighter and set fire to a piece of paper which flamed up. His sister threw a blanket over the burning paper.
The two children hid under a bed where they were later rescued.
The 16-year-old babysitter was able to rescue the girl by breaking a window and pulling her out from underneath the bed.
A Kinston volunteer fireman was able to rescue the three-year-old boy from beneath the same bed by pulling him through the same window.
Rescuers were unable to reach the toddler who was in a different room.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.