The evening trick-or-treating ritual comes one day after the end of daylight saving time.
Authorities say many children aren't used to walking outdoors, at night, especially wearing bulky costumes.
State health officials offer the tips:
- Children should walk on sidewalks. If there's no sidewalk, walk on the left side of the road facing traffic.
- Children shouldn't take rides from strangers or accept treats from someone who's in a vehicle.
- Youngsters should wear light-colored costumes with reflective
- Opt for face paint, instead of wearing a mask or hood.
- Don't eat any of the goodies until an adult checks them for safety.
- Lit candles are a no-no.