Federal Grant Money

The Hartford Town Council unanimously approved a resolution that will be sent to the nation's capitol.

The city is asking for a federal community development block grant to assist lower income residents in refurbishing their homes.

Hartford resident, Hughvon King, is not sure if he'll qualify for the money, but he says he can only hope.

Living on a fixed income, King says it's difficult to put on a new roof and make general repairs to his 75-year-old home.

Hartford has applied for a $300,000 grant to assist in helping out its residents.

The government pays 85 percent of the total bill, while the homeowner must pay the remaining 15 percent.

Hartford officials hope to have an answer on their grant request before July.

A similar project is now taking place in the town of New Brockton.