A Dothan woman is thankful Tuesday morning that her house is still standing.
Mertis Homola turned on the stove to heat up some tea but turned on the wrong eye and the eye cover caught on fire. Thanks to her son and a fire extinguisher, her house on Pearce Street was saved.
She was so scared she couldn't do anything but scream. Her son, Mike ran from the back bedroom into a hallway that was filled with smoke.
He yelled for his mother to call 911 while he got the fire extinguisher.
Fire officials say a lot of fires like this start this time of year
Her home had very minimal damage because her son put it out with the fire extinguisher.
The blaze could have destroyed the home but the family was lucky.
No one was injured in the fire.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.