Authorities say the cause appears to be accidental in a weekend house fire in Geneva. There was fear at first that the family was trapped inside.
Authorities are not exactly sure what caused Wayne and Gail Smith's Water Street home to catch fire, but it appears to be electrical.
Around 8:30 p.m. Saturday night, Gail Smith says her grandchildren began to scream, “There's fire!”
Within an instant, she along with her husband, Wayne Smith and their two grandchildren ran from the burning structure.
Several months-ago, Wayne Smith was arrested on child pornography charges but, police don't believe the fire is connected.
Mrs. Smith says it's hard to see your whole life go up in smoke.
One family member says he was told a fan may have short-circuited causing the fire. The family along with a half-dozen dogs was able to escape.
At this time, the Smiths' are staying with a son who lives down the road.
The family reportedly does have insurance on the home.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.