Newly released documents show Florida's child welfare agency neglected to investigate the dismal living conditions at a motel just days before a four-year-old girl died there.
The girl died after suffering a blow to the head in the filthy room she shared with five siblings and her parents. Her mother has been charged with murder.
Police found dirty diapers and spoiled food littering the motel room. They also say baby bottles contained moldy milk and what may have been maggots.
The mother's probation officer warned state officials about the conditions after visiting the mother on December second.
However, documents say child welfare officials dismissed them, stating no law "prohibited a person from living in a one-room motel with their six children."
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.