A little boy helped save the lives of his family during a house fire along the Geneva- Covington County line.
Crews from both Florida and Alabama responded to the blaze Monday morning. Firefighters say it appears the fire may have started in a space heater.
Just after seven o'clock, neighbors reported flames coming from the three-bedroom house along Highway 54 in Western Geneva County’s Hacoda community. It’s about a mile from the Covington County line.
Members of the Gaskin-Darlington Department in Walton County helped Flat Creek and Samson firefighters.
Fran Woolsey along with her child, Anthony Dumis, and brother, Travis Woolsey, were inside. But, Anthony noticed smoke coming from the living room heater and told everyone to get out of the house.
Firefighters say the home is a "total" loss. The Woolsey family does not have insurance, but they are thankful to be alive.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.