Staying Warm and Staying Safe


Fireplaces and central heating may not be used in the South very often but in the next few days many of people may decide to heat things up.

If you do decide to keep your place warm, here are a few things to remember that may prevent your home from catching on fire.

The number one thing on check on is that your smoke detectors are working. The Dothan Fire Department says that increases your chances of surviving a house fire by over 200 percent.

If you are using a fireplace to heat your home, remember that they can get built up with soot and that could create a potential fire hazard.

It is a good idea to have your fireplace inspected regularly and cleaned when recommended by a licensed chimney sweep. National standard recommend an inspection once every year.

If you use a space heater in your home, make sure you have three feet of clearance from anything that could catch on fire.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WTVY-TV 285 N Foster Street Dothan, AL 36303 334-792-3195
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 231673361 - wtvy.com/a?a=231673361