ATLANTA (Press Release) — The Florida State-Alabama Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game could be the Greatest Opener of All Time (GOAT), featuring the two highest ranked teams to ever play on college football’s opening weekend.
It’s possible this game could be No. 1 vs. No. 2 – which has never happened. Since 1950, the highest-ranked season openers to-date are No. 1 Oklahoma vs. No. 4 UCLA in 1986 and No. 1 Nebraska vs. No. 4 Penn State in 1983. Not only will the rankings potentially solidify this game as the GOAT, but there are several other factors adding to the hype of this epic clash of college football powerhouses.
This matchup will represent:
• Five of college football’s last eight national champions
• The two winningest programs in college football since 2010 (Florida State has 78 wins and Alabama has 86 victories)
• The two programs with the nation’s longest streak of being ranked in the final AP Top 25 Poll dating back to 2010
• Two of the nation’s hottest teams on opening weekend (Alabama has won its past 15 season openers and Florida State has won its past six)
• Two of the top three highest-ranked recruiting classes each of the past three years (based on 247 Sports rankings)
Last, but certainly not least, the Florida State-Alabama showdown will be the first college football game to be played in the new, state-of-the-art Mercedes-Benz Stadium and both teams are preseason favorites to potentially meet again in the same venue four months later for the College Football Playoff National Championship.