Fire destroys family home in Columbia

By  | 

COLUMBIA, Ala. (WTVY) — A Columbia family is without a home after a fire Monday afternoon.

Multiple fire departments from Webb, Ashford and Columbia rushed to the area of 315 Gordon-Williams Road to find a mobile home fully engulfed in flames.

The homeowners reported that they heard a loud pop, smelled smoke and ran out of the house.

The couple escaped the fire unharmed.

Webb Fire Chief Jamar Ivey said it took 20 firefighters approximately an hour and a half to put out the blaze.

“We used Columbia’s tanker and Ashford’s pumper to shuttle water out here in the further reaches of the county where there’s lack of water," said Ivey. "The structure, when we arrived, was fully engulfed. We went into defensive mode and fought it from the outside.”

The Red Cross is assisting the family this evening.

Investigators say an electrical short in the home's wiring is to blame for the fire.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus