Dothan, AL (WTVY)-- Christmas turned tragic for one Dothan family when a fire destroyed their home along Riveredge Parkway.
While the cause of the fire remains under investigation, initial reports indicate the origin was from a gas fireplace.
"We can't say for sure that's the cause but that is what we're told by the homeowner," Dothan Fire Chief Larry Williams said.
The road was closed to through traffic, and firefighters were expected to remain on the scene for several hours.
Rick and Julie Ann Rickard and their children live in the home that could be a total loss. They were not injured.
--Updated at 1:00p to report fire was destroyed, comments from fire chief, and that likely source was gas fireplace.