NORWICH, Conn. (AP) -- The city of Norwich, Conn., and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Norwich are in court arguing over the future of a soup kitchen and food pantry.
The Bulletin newspaper reports that the Commission on the City Plan ruled that St. Vincent de Paul Place, Norwich's only full-time soup kitchen and food pantry, did not fit into the neighborhood and rejected a permit.
The Diocese has appealed in District Court in Bridgeport. The diocese says numerous other services in Norwich provide meals and food for the needy and that the soup kitchen is being unfairly targeted.
Last week, a federal judge ruled that St. Vincent can remain at its site through Feb. 26 when an injunction hearing is scheduled.
The diocese says St. Vincent de Paul averages 7,104 visits to its pantry every year, and serves nearly 80,000 meals.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)