WTVY - Blogs - Rayne’s Travels

Endings are always bittersweet

By: Rayne McKenzie
By: Rayne McKenzie

I'm back at home and it turns out, myeveryday life is just fabulous.

So this is it.  The final blog.  I'm sitting at home in Dothan, in my pajamas, with my hair pulled back in a headband wondering what it is you would like to know.  I feel like I owe you a great last blog for taking the time to follow me during the last month's adventure.  So here we go...

I was overwhelmed when I finally got off the plane in Montgomery.  I fought back the tears as I leapt into the arms of the man I love.  I felt exhausted, like I'd run a marathon and could finally collapse.  This trip has been long and tiring and the moment I'd been waiting on was finally here.  After collecting myself I turned to see my Mama who came to celebrate my return.  My Mom and I are very close and it made my night that much better to get to share my return with her.  So you know how it feels when everything in your life is going perfect and you think...surely it's too good to be true?  I was at that point when I was told my luggage never made it to the airport.  Ummm, no doubt you realize that means that all my necessities, because I'd been gone a month, were stuck in some airport in Memphis (or so I was told.)  So I filled out a form and hoped against all hope that I would be reunited with my luggage in the near future.  My first thought was, "I need that bag, my presents for my boyfriend and my WTVY family are in there!"  But I wasn't going to let something like that ruin my return.  I hugged my teammates goodbye, which actually did bring tears to my eyes.  These were my companions for a month and I've never done goodbyes well.  With tears in my eyes I trotted to the parking lot of the airport to get my baby back!  Isis, my Chinese Crested, was waiting in Mama's.  I was so happy to get my little rat into my arms and hit the road to head home. 

I hadn't eaten in hours so I told Scott we had to stop for food.  Unfortunately it was 11 p.m. on a Thursday night which means not much is open.  Everyone has asked me since I've been back what the first thing I ate was.  It was Krystal's.  Now honest to goodness it's been years, literally probably 3 years, since I've eaten Krystal's but it was open and I was hungry so I woofed a Krystal Chick down (which wasn't half bad honestly) and then fell asleep in the car, holding Scott's hand and with my Icee Rat in my lap.  Finally I was right where I wanted to be. 

Friday I woke up early because of jet lag.  That stuff is no joke.  It ruined my sleep for days.  So I ate oatmeal for breakfast and felt a little more normal.  I love oatmeal, especially raisins and spice.  Then I lounged on the couch.  Finally at 10 o'clock I couldn't wait any longer and ran to wake Scott up.  I felt like my to-do list was far too long for us not to get started right away.  We decided to head out to the bookstore and to Target to do some vital shopping.  So I dressed and then slid on a helmet for the ride of my life.  I rode on a motorcycle for the first time ever!  I thought, why not come back with a new lease on life and what better way to feel that way than to risk my life on the road.  Scott assured me I would be perfectly safe, but I assure you I could only think of how badly it would hurt if my body slid across the roadway on that hot pavement.  After a few minutes I got over my fear and embraced the feeling of freedom.  I loved it.  It was one of the best dates I've been on, to a bookstore on a motorcycle. And you better believe I enjoyed some hot tea and a treat just like I did in Sweden :)

Work has been very busy since I've been back.  I am working on producing the noon show and then overseeing the 5 and 6 o'clock newscasts.  We call this position the executive producer and I'm filling in until we hire someone permanently.  For this reason you won't see me on the air much for a month or so...believe it or not this change makes me very happy.  I love to write and this position gives me a chance to do much more of that.  Between you and me I also get to stay in the ac all day and after living for a month in freezing temperatures, this Alabama heat is getting the best of me! 

Well that wraps it up.  I can't thank you enough for keeping up with my travels and caring about my life.  Thank you for the prayers, the thoughts and comments to my blogs while I was on this adventure.  You've made this experience so much more to me than I could have imagined.  I feel like a new person, ready to take on the world now!  1 country down, many more to go! 

Read More Blogs
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WTVY-TV 285 N Foster Street Dothan, AL 36303 334-792-3195
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability