Do you have the “oddest” job on your block? You might, or, you may have something much more “mainstream” than the next person and not even know it.
While reading an article on “Odd Jobs” by Rachel Zupek, I started thinking of some of the jobs you never really thought existed, but that could open up new possibilities for anyone looking for a start or a change.
Check out these 20 Odd Jobs and see where yours ranks! If you think your job is even beyond these, post it for all to ponder!
1. Gum buster: the person responsible for removing gum from rollercoaster rides
2. Golf ball diver: scours the water on golf course to find, refinish and resell the lost ones
3. Breath odor evaluator: rates people’s breath and then tests the effectiveness of odor-reducing products
4. Ribbon candy puller: (yes, it’s still done by hand)
5. Ocularist: artificial eye painter
6. Flatulence smell-reduction underwear maker: create the underwear for people who suffer from gastrointestinal problems
7. Beer tester: (enough said)
8. Crack filler: uses a silicone sealant to repair the wear and tear on monuments
9. Video game tester: plays games to test for bugs/glitches in software
10. Feminine product tester: checks for absorbency and strength in accordene with FDA guidelines
11. Gold reclaimer: mines old teeth for fillings, melts the pieces down and resells it to jewelers
12. Potato chip inspector: searches for overcooked or clumped chips along the assembly line
13. Safecracker: use their trained ears and fingers to open safes when combinations are forgotten or keys lost
14. Paper towel sniffer: ensure that once a paper towel is used, there is no noticeable scent
15. Foley artist: create and record the sounds used for effects in films
If that’s not enough, check out Nancy Rica Schiff’s photography books portraying these and other odd jobs.