New Birth Control Bill in Alabama Legislature

By: The Associated Press
By: The Associated Press
Women seeking to take emergency contraception like the so-called "morning after" pill would have to do so in the presence of a doctor under a bill before the Alabama Legislature.

This frame grab from video shows a box of Plan B morning after pill. (AP Photo)

A Senate panel approved the measure on Wednesday, sending it before the full chamber. An earlier version would have required women to undergo an exam by a physician before taking the pill.

The proposal also requires a follow-up visit to determine whether the contraception was effective.

Republican sponsor Sen. Gerald Allen says the intent of the legislation is to protect life.

Democratic Sen. Linda Coleman brought up objections during the committee, saying sections of the bill had little to do with administering the pill.

Parts of the legislation deal with who can bring suit if the measure is violated.

• by SouthernPatriot Location: Dothan on Apr 24, 2012 at 02:00 PM
    I'm confused why anyone would bring up the concept of "Separation of Church and State." Maybe I'm wrong, but I never read anything about the church in the article. Besides, we do have separation of church and state. No organized religion makes or enforces laws, or determines punishment in this state. Now, if some are upset because our politicians are making some decisions, while being influenced by their belief system, you may be fighting a loosing battle...that has been going on since the founding fathers.
  • by Dave Location: Marianna on Apr 24, 2012 at 06:49 AM
    Birth control, in ANY form is none of the Governments business!
  • by Bunny Location: Dothan on Apr 23, 2012 at 03:12 PM
    Here's a thought...people could try being a little bit more responsible with their bodies, and they wouldn't have to worry about the morning after pill, or an "unwanted" pregnancy. Oh wait, I'm sure I just offended someone with my common sense.
  • by Are you kidding? on Apr 23, 2012 at 01:59 PM
    How is a "morning after pill" protecting life? It kills. Comments here complain of state getting involved in "personal lives." If people took more responsibility for their actions and realized there was a "LIFE" inside them, they wouldn't be searching for a death pill to begin with.
  • by SouthenPatriot on Apr 23, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    I'm confused why the "Separation of Church and State" argument surfaced. Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't read anything about a church in the article. Is there some assuming going on.....
  • by tm Location: chicago, il on Apr 20, 2012 at 08:22 AM
    Is this true? I thought I read it was RU-486? If this is true, your legistlators are extremely misinformed and misguided.
  • by JLS on Apr 19, 2012 at 09:28 AM
    The state needs to stay out of our personal lives. They are acting like the Taliban vice squads. It's bad enough you're wanting to dictate who can get a divorce and who can't. We need a definite separation of church and state here.
  • by JLS on Apr 19, 2012 at 07:08 AM
    The state is getting way too far into people's personal lives. First, it was dictating who can have a divorce, and now it's interfering with a woman's private life. This is what the Taliban Vice squads do. Get your religion out of government!! I can't wait to vote Bentley out - too much souther baptist influence on legislative matters.
      by Bunny on Apr 23, 2012 at 03:09 PM in reply to JLS
      Yeah..because Christians and Taliban have SO much in common! Who needs these leaders who are led by their moral values?! We should only elect people who will let us do whatever we want to! If I want to have 20 divorces and 25 children...or abort 25 children, I should be allowed to! It's my God-given right to be as immoral as I want to, no matter who it hurts! (that was me being sarcastic by the way)
        by JLS on Apr 27, 2012 at 05:29 PM in reply to Bunny
        Bunny, it's impossible to legislate morality. Please go back and re-read what you just wrote. It seems to me like you're saying that the gov't knows what's best for us because we're incapable of making our own decisions. I, for one, am perfectly capable of thinking for myself. However, if you are not, then by all means, let a bunch of hypocritical men decide your life for you.
          by Bunny on Apr 30, 2012 at 09:19 PM in reply to JLS
          Obviously you have a hard time understanding sarcasm. Now see, here's the thing. Everyone is capable of making their own decisions, whether right or wrong, we are CAPABLE of thinking for ourselves. Now, here's the tricky part..are you still with me?...it is the government's job to set these things called "rules" or "laws" so that people have a moral standard to live up to. Think about what YOU just put. You're basically saying that as long as you can "think" for yourself, you should be able to do whatever you want to. If our government does not set us a moral legislation for us to follow, who will? You obviously have issues with Christianity, so I take it you won't follow the moral code set by God...so I guess you think you deserve to have your own moral code. And by your logic, a serial killer, child molester, petty thief, etc..as long as they think for themselves, should make up their own moral legislative....and why punish them for having their own moral ideas, because, they can think for themselves? And who are you to judge them? Your logic is a terrifying one.
  • by Kristi on Apr 19, 2012 at 04:35 AM
    This is ridiculous! If a person can't go to the dr to begin with for birth control, what makes you think they will be able to go for the morning after pill?? It's like making a preventative THAT much harder to get. Smart move guys.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 148048235 - wtvy.com/a?a=148048235